Since its first production in the late 1920s, acrylic has become deeply entrenched in the manufacturing industry. It is loved for its general strength and high transparency making it great as a glass replacement or whenever a clear plastic display is needed. Design and fabrication of acrylic are incredibly versatile, being able to create a plethora of different parts for different purposes. Some of the main uses of acrylic include windows in aquariums, plastic display cabinets, and more recently hygiene screens for COVID-19. The design process for acrylic is an important part of ensuring quality products, FX plastics are experts in the design and fabrication of plastic products.
To take an idea or need for an acrylic product and make it a reality, these steps are taken:
- An initial draft design is produced; this may be a hand-drawn or computer model. This will ensure the requirements of the product are met such as space requirements in a plastic display.
- The initial model is made into a final CAD drawing, which includes all correct dimensions.
- The CAD drawing is used to guide a state-of-the-art CNC laser cutting machine to precisely cut the required shape.
- The freshly cut part is diamond polished for smooth edges in the plastic display.
- The quality new part is installed and put to use. One great thing about acrylic is its thermoplastic’ nature, meaning it can be heated and reformed to be bent to exact fits on site. This makes the design and fabrication process even more flexible if requirements were not quite right.
To learn more about the acrylic design and fabrication process, contact FX Plastics, the experts in all things acrylic.